Sunday, October 7, 2012

Lemony Grilled Shrimp Salad

Again, not mine, but from Cooking Light, Sept 2012 issue.

2 tsp lemon rind zest
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
7 tsp olive oil, divided
24 extra large shrimp, peeled deveined (I used the medium 41-60 shrimp.  Its about $5 at my Walmart)
4-8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for about 10 minutes
6 c baby arugula
1 c peeled jicama cut into 2x1/4" strips (I didn't use this tonight.  Couldn't find it in the store.  It is a hit and miss item there)
1 avocado sliced
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs white wine vinegar (I had apple cider and it was fine here)
1/4 tsp sugar (I used a little granular Truvia instead..tasted fine)
1 oz queso fresco crumbled (about a 1/4 c) (also didn't measure, just let everyone decide how much they wanted)

Preheat grill to high.  combine rind, paprika, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp oil in a bowl. toss with the shrimp to coat.  Thread shrimp onto skewers.  coat grill rack with oil or cooking spray. grill shrimp 2 minutes each side or until done (mine took a little longer they were still a little frozen, which made it a little easier to poke on the skewer, and I used an indoor grill). 

toss arugula, jicama and avocado in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine remaining 2 T oil, remaining 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar.  stir well with whisk to emulsify.  add juice mixture to salad and toss to coat.  (this is also where I let others control how much they want.  To me, I don't like a lot of dressing, and  my little ones may not like it as much.  Let them pick is my say). Top salad with cheese and shrimp. 

ENJOY!!

There was no shrimp left, but there never is.  Shrimp is a favorite around here and we eat a lot of it.  My kids love it.  The salad...I have on hand.  I didn't use arugula, it has too much of a bite for my kids.  I have a spring mix that my group eats and loves.  I tossed in some spinach into the mix too, cuz its good for ya and my kiddos don't complain about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment