Monday, September 23, 2013

Motivation boards

I was searching on Pinterest (one of my addictions but I actually use a lot of what I pin) and found this motivational board. I had tried something like this with great success on my bathroom mirror. Me and my kids wrote wonderful positive statements on there and loved every minute of it. Mascara application was tricky but the words on the mirror were worth the acrobatic make up tricks. The mirror was cleaned for a house showing and we just didn't put them back up. I missed it being there so when I come across this pic I decided I needed to do it again but modify how we did it. I recently sold a large hutch and I now have this empty wall in my dining area that needed something on it but I didn't know what to put there. I will be moving shortly and didn't want to invest in decor that may or may not work in the new place. Then I found the perfect solution. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen and dining room. That wall will be visible to everyone. It was the perfect place for these boards. I went to the dollar store and found little 8 1/2 x 11 boards and picked up some dry erase markers and came up with a plan. 
My kids have been craving family time. Not having a vehicle that will hold them all legally means we have to find things to do at home and that are inexpensive. This was perfect. 

I had made my board when they were at school but I left their boards on the table for them to see. As soon as they got home from school they caught sight of mine. Ohhs and ahhs and can we write on that were immediate questions asked by all five of them. I told them that was my board but I had one for them. Their excitement was palpable. They could hardly wait for dinner to be done. Every single one of them wanted to get ahold of that board and the markers. Ideas were forming in their minds all afternoon. 

I sat them down and talked to them about setting goals and what I intended to do with my board and what my goals are. I told them I wanted the boards to be out here where we could all see them so we could encourage each other. If Keneisha wrote she had a test and was working hard to study for it then we could wish her good luck or ask how she did. We could cheer Olivia on as she works to become a better dancer. I told them they were free reign...write what ever you want to on the board. There were no wrong goals or pics or sayings. They had complete control of it. They could change it daily if they wanted. It was whatever their heart desired would be perfect for their whiteboard. 

After my trip to Ogden this weekend I am more resolved than ever to get on stage in April. It's 27 weeks away. I know that sounds like a long time, but there is much prep that goes into training for a body building competition and being focused now is going to help me in the long run. I am a visual person. Seeing the words written out, the list made and ready for check off, the constant reminder are going to pave my road to success and winning. 

Olivia's board 

Brennady's board

Nataushia's board

Asche's board 

Keneisha's board

They are all individual and unique just like each of my children are. They took quite a bit of time to settle on their first goals and pictures. I will hang them up tomorrow and have them ready for them to see when they get home. I love it. They are going to do so well with each of their choices. Writing it down places it deeper in their brain. This will become their reality. And I get to be lucky enough to watch them make it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment