Sunday, September 16, 2012

Trainers

I currently work with a personal trainer. I never thought I would ever say that. Only celebrities and famous rich people with too much time and money on their hands work with trainers .... right?? This is not true. I am about as regular average Joe as it gets. Not to mention I was clueless of what to do on the boys side of the gym. Give me a treadmill or stationary bike any day and I know how to work your ass out. Put me in the weight section and I stick to bicep curls with the 5 pound weight.

The idea for lifting first came from myfitnesspal.com.  I was the cardio queen but I started seeing lots of my friends were lifting weights too. I was intrigued. So I did a little research and found a book called the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought it on my nook and read it cover to cover. This guy promised me I wouldn't turn out like some crazy pumped up shemale.  Well I could if I spent hours and hours in the gym and ate what they ate and well I would need YEARS to become like that. I don't want to look like that at all. I want to look like the fitness models. Soft, curvy, toned, and cut. Fit and healthy and attractive. (OK I have soft and curvy but that is part and parcel of the Mommy body gig...I want firm and toned...especially my abs).

Now I was excited to start lifting. The problem was I had no idea what I was doing. I also had this HUGE fear or going to that side of the gym. So I did what any cardio junkie would do....I joined a class. I found a bootcamp class. We used weights and kettlebells and stability balls and weight machines. My bootcamp instructor is also a personal trainer. After about 3 weeks of bootcamp and working on different machines and with various free weights I worked up the nerve to ask her train me on weight lifting. SHE AGREED! of course she would...its her job but still a part of me thought she is gonna take one look at my sissy body and refuse.

Jolene has been working with me for 5 weeks on weights. I have made it to the majority of the bootcamp classes since I went to the first one. They are held twice a week. My strength and definition has increased dramatically in the few weeks I have been training. When I did my first deadlift on August 21 I deadlifted 40 pounds. I was pulling hard it was work. Today in the gym I did a deadlift for 115 pounds! This is huge!!!  I am so excited.  These changes have come because I get in the gym and do it. I just started in lifting as heavy as my arms could pick up. I am still doing that but they are stronger. My husband pushed me hard today in the gym. I thought it was 100 pounds and it was 115 instead. Hiring the trainer to show me how to do all this has been worth every dime I have spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment